pcre, bifs, drivers and ports

Mats Cronqvist mats.cronqvist@REDACTED
Tue Aug 1 16:27:03 CEST 2006

Sean Hinde wrote:
> Hi Ernie,
>
> On 1 Aug 2006, at 14:04, Ernie Makris wrote:
> [...]
>> If this is the case, then I can definitely see why a driver based pcre
>> should be preferable for a potentially long
>> running regex computation.

   seems to me that if regexps are allowed to be of unlimited size, and the
regexp implementation is unable to yield, a bif is a bad choice.
   for our immediate problem, it is ok to limit the size of the regexp.

> I agree. Anytime the overhead of the driver call is small compared to
> the work to be done then there seems little point in trying to optimise
> away the overhead. Let's see if Mats' work ends up giving some nice
> results - if he is happy to share.

   wise words from sean. we will try a driver version and compare. happiness is
probably beyond us without the aid of prescription medicine, but we will share
the results.

   mats