Anyone use Erlang and stow?

Romain Lenglet rlenglet@REDACTED
Thu Apr 6 03:20:14 CEST 2006

Ryan Rawson wrote:
> Looks like the configure/build system as it stands does not
> allow you to install erlang into a different directory than it
> will eventually run out of.  This should prevent Erlang from
> out of the box being compatible with RPM, DEB and any package
> management system, including stow.

Yes, using instead the behaviour of INSTALL_DIR would have been
better, as in Makefiles generated by GNU Automake.
But Erlang's Makefiles already use an INSTALL_DIR variable for
another purpose...

> Anyone else solve this problem?  I've tried make install
> prefix= and INSTALL_PREFIX= but the build scripts keep on
> embeddeding that path in all the shell scripts.

The official Debian package uses INSTALL_PREFIX when calling make
install, and then it modifies the start scripts before
constructing the package, something like that:
for f in $INSTALL_PREFIX$PREFIX/lib/erlang/bin/* ; do
  sed -i -e 's,ROOTDIR=.*,ROOTDIR='"$PREFIX/lib/erlang/," $f
done

--
Romain LENGLET