Debugging crashes during init

Claes Wikstrom klacke@REDACTED
Tue Sep 27 19:34:41 CEST 2005

Tim Bates wrote:
> Hi folks,
> When a process crashes during normal operation I get a lovely error
> report printout with a reason for the crash and a traceback. When
> something crashes inside my Application:start/2 functions I get this:
>

> $ erl -boot lib/traderl/priv/traderl -config test -traderl gainfiles
> '[test1.csv, test2.csv]'
> Erlang (BEAM) emulator version 5.4.8 [source] [hipe] [threads:0]
>

> =INFO REPORT==== 27-Sep-2005::20:50:40 ===
>     application: traderl
>     exited: {shutdown,{traderl_app,start,[normal,[]]}}
>     type: permanent
> {"Kernel pid terminated",application_controller,shutdown}

Hmmm, this has irritated me too for some time and I've been
bugging Martin Bjorklund about it since this is originally
his code which delivers the above worthless errormsg.

However, I started to play with it and cannot really reproduce.
Exactly when is it that erlang cannot give a good reason for
failing to boot. ?

/klacke