GUIs - ruby on rails, rico

Joe Armstrong (AL/EAB) joe.armstrong@REDACTED
Wed Sep 21 16:15:46 CEST 2005

  Yes - this is exactly right.

  In my "latest and best" web/blog/information thingy is based of the idea
of viewing web pages as processes (remember "everything in Erlang is a process")

  So a blogger template looks likes this:

	<head> ...
	<title>${Title}$</title>
	<script> ... </script>
	     ... ${SideBar}$ ...

	... ${Blogs}$ ...

		... ${Footer}$

   Of course, there is *lots* of crap here but this thing to note is
is this a kind of abstraction. But what sort of abstraction?

   My first blogger viewed a template as a lambda abstraction. ie the
${Title}$ etc in the template are just variables which need to be filled in.
So this page is a just a function of the free variables ${Title}$ ${Blogs}$ etc.

   A more interesting way to view the template is as a process. The variables
represet *place markers* to which "things" can be sent.

   To create a page I say

	Page = create_page(templateName)

   Then I can fill in the data

	Title@REDACTED ! "this is a blog"

   This sends a "this is a blog" message to the ${Title}$ receptor in Page

   So I can fill in the values of the fields by sending message to the page.

   For the recursive case I can send templates to the receptors.

   So

	Blog@REDACTED ! {template, "foo"} - puts a foo template inb the Blog receptor
of Page.

   If the template foo has receptors X and Y then I can send message to these as well

	X@REDACTED@Page ! " some text "

   I can query a receptor with !!

	ie Title@REDACTED !! read

   is shorthand for an RPC that reads the title from page.

    This all gets to be rather fun in a distruibuted environment.

    Now all I have to do is implement it - pretty easy given erlang and rico
like stuff.

    BTW - why is it called XMLHTTP? - as far as I can see there is absolutly no
requirement for the server responding to requests with XML - the server can reply with
any old string that it feels like, and a javascript receptor can do anything
it feels like with the result.

/Joe