catch link(Pid) when trapping exits

Robert Virding robert.virding@REDACTED
Fri Oct 28 00:58:22 CEST 2005

No, no, no it should definitely NOT return error(noproc).

The reason is that the whole process communication mechanism, including
links, was originally designed to be asynchronous on the sending side.
Sending a message is asychronous, ou don't wait in the send to find out
if it arrived. Link/1 works the same way. The call does not wait until
the link is set up but just sends the request and continues. If the
process does not exist the caller is notified by a noproc exit signal
from the non-existent process (yes I know but from who else could it
receive it?).

The important point is that in bothe cases the call is asynchronous.
This also means, mostly importantly, that both calls function the same
way irrespective of whether the other process is local or remote. This
was also an original goal.

If this has significantly changed since then then someone has missed the
original intentions.

Robert