restarting child processes

Lennart Ohman lennart.ohman@REDACTED
Thu Oct 20 00:06:35 CEST 2005

I guess from your code that you hope the child process will
stop on its own!?
The problem then is that the so called server side timeout
(what when I teach OTP call the gen_server gets bored :-)
is controlled by having for instance init return {ok,LoopData,TimeOut}.

Changing your code would then be:

start_link() ->
    io:format("Child starting~n"),
    gen_server:start_link(swf_kid, [{timeout, 750}], []).

init([{timeout,T}]) ->
    process_flag(trap_exit, true),

Since you seem to want to forward the timeout as a parameter
from the supervisor to the newly created gen_server process.

/Lennart

Lennart Ohman                   office  : +46-8-587 623 27
Sjoland & Thyselius Telecom AB  cellular: +46-70-552 67 35
Sehlstedtsgatan 6               fax     : +46-8-667 82 30
SE-115 28, STOCKHOLM, SWEDEN    email   : lennart.ohman@REDACTED