Meta-Erlang (was RE: Erlang vs Java revisited)

Mickael Remond mickael.remond@REDACTED
Wed Oct 5 22:04:18 CEST 2005

Richard A. O'Keefe wrote:
> The Java reflection API, including the new stuff that's needed to
> do program transformation, is about as think as the local phone book.
> I come to praise Erlang, not to bury Java, but the effect that the
> syntactic complexity and irregularity of a language has on code that
> manipulates that language is important.  Consider the whole
> StringTemplate, er, scratches head for polite term, thingy.  To my
> mind, it's a typically overcomplicated response to the fact that
> Java is pretty much hopeless at expressing data structures in source
> code.  Working on the same kinds of things in Scheme, I never needed
> more than backquote and maybe a few calls to a mapping function.

Regarding Java approach to "metaprogrammation", I found this link:

Language Oriented Programming: The Next Programming Paradigm
http://www.onboard.jetbrains.com/is1/articles/04/10/lop/

I thought it could interest the Erlang mailing list.

This article is kind of ironic. I followed the tutorial and found that
it was a nice demonstration of why not to use this approach in Java.
This stuff is terribly complicated, and I suspect hardly maintenable.

That's funny.

--
Mickaël Rémond
 (cathing up with his email backlog)