quoting

Joe Armstrong (AL/EAB) joe.armstrong@REDACTED
Tue Nov 29 15:56:03 CET 2005

Comments:

	1) printing binaries <<"...">> properly has had a strange effect on my programming
	I now use them far more than I ever did before - this is because they get printed
	nicely - I think I was often using atoms just because I could see them when my
	program failed.

	2) We don't need or want a string type. That's what a binary is.

	IMHO we need a character type - so we can distinguish $a from 97.

      We also need a small number of BIFs that do string operations on binaries.

	for example split(Binary, Str) -> {Before, After} | no
	(take a binary and split it at a constant string) would be *incredable* useful

	A small number of well-chosen primitive on binaries would be very useful.

	Somebody else can tell the list what these should be - and how yecc and leex can make use of
them :-)

	/Joe