choice of gcc version for Erlang on ARM/XScale/PXA

Mikael Pettersson mikpe@REDACTED
Mon Nov 28 14:37:39 CET 2005

Could those that have built Erlang for ARM/XScale/PXA
machines please report exactly which gcc versions they
have been using, including what ARM patches if any they
applied to gcc?

I've begun working on HiPE for ARM/XScale, and I've found
that only gcc-3.3.6 (+ several ARM patches) and gcc-4.0.2
work correctly: gcc-3.4.4 miscompiles the runtime system,
specifically the I_lshift() procedure in big.c, which
throws the Erlang compiler into an endless CPU and memory
consuming loop when compiling e.g. auth.erl or prim_inet.erl.

My guess is that if any of you used gcc-3.4.4, then you
either cross-compiled or applied corrective patches to gcc first.

/Mikael