JSON?

Joe Armstrong (AL/EAB) joe.armstrong@REDACTED
Tue Nov 15 09:12:39 CET 2005

Re the mapping:

IMHO you might get a nicer mapping if you changed strings to binaries.

If you do this then lists will *always* be real lists if you see what I mean,
and the string/list ambiguity goes away. Most of the data will be held in strings
anyway so representing these as binaries should be better for all aspects of performance.

I'd choose this:

	JSON Obj    = type obj()   = {obj, [{key(), val()}]}
	JSON Array  = type array() = [val()]
	JSON Number = type num()   = int() | float()
	JSON String = type str()   = bin()
	JSON true false null       = true, false null (atoms)

	With Type val() = obj() | array() | num() | str() | true | false | null

I'd let the parser return an association list (not a dict) - since (probably) the object is small
and it's nice to be able to print it and pattern match it directly.

BTW you should hack the pretty printer to print binaries "prettily"

(( Of course if we had proper dynamic structs in the language, erlang terms would be
JSON objects :-) ))

/Joe