Using 4Gb of ram with Erlang VM

Ulf Wiger (AL/EAB) ulf.wiger@REDACTED
Mon Nov 7 16:36:11 CET 2005

I've been able to get my hands on some SPARCs
(2x 1.5 GHz) with 16 GB RAM.

I started out with the ring benchmark, and just
verified that process spawning, context switching
and message passing seem to stay more or less constant(*)
up to at least 6 million processes in a ring, although
I do get some funny delays and less predictable figures
compared to, say, a measly one million processes.

(*) Process spawn time: ca 6 usec, send: 2 usec.

I first tried 10 million processes, but got hit hard by
swapping. Since I'm using 64-bit erlang, it didn't
crash on me, though.  (:

/Uffe