linux Erlang/OTP status

Kostis Sagonas kostis@REDACTED
Sat Nov 5 10:30:49 CET 2005

Marthin Laubscher wrote:

 > Brian's announcement did mention the exclusion of HiPE. I've not seen HiPE
 > code, but I suspect that the trouble is that very tight optimisation is
 > often opportunistically using specific platform and processor capabilities.

Nothing like that.  Our C code is quite portable and very nice in
this respect.  But porting HiPE makes sense only if you are willing
to develop the corresponding native code backend under lib/hipe and
for that you need development work, not porting.

 > The nostalgia of that can quite easily draw me into "simply having to port
 > HiPE as well", but if the performance pay-off is not going to be worth it,
 > I really should resist the temptation.

Yes, probably you should.  Once you have everything else in place, we
can help you make a backend for gumstix.

Kostis