Getting locks and sharing: was RE: Getting concurrency

ke.han ke.han@REDACTED
Sun Jun 19 06:24:22 CEST 2005

 > IMHO the single most important design "boundary" is the inter-processor
 > boundary. Today there are 3 different RPC's:
 >
 >     RPC1 - between two processes in the same Erlang node
 >     RPC2 - between two processes in different nodes in a single CPU
 >     RPC3 - between two processes in different nodes on different CPU's
 >
 > The times for these are *vastly* different RPC1 is in microseconds,
RPC3 is in millisceconds.

 > When we have multi-core CPUs well have:
 >
 >     RPC4 - between two processes in different nodes in different CPUs
on the same chip

So would RPC5 be:
     RPC5 between two processes in the same node in different CPUs on
the same chip

What you describe as RPC4 seems to be a niche requirement.  What I'm
calling RPC5 seems much more needed.

thanks, ke han