CPU/Hardware optimized for Erlang

Richard A. O'Keefe ok@REDACTED
Wed Jul 27 02:27:07 CEST 2005

I wrote:
	> Hmm.  Intel already *have* a machine that does that, the ARM.
	> There are versions of the ARM with direct-in-hardware JVM support.

yvan sur free <yvan.godin@REDACTED> challenged this.
	I usually read about embed board for robotic and never see direct hardware JVM
	support. Most of the time there is an JVM code on external flash memory on an
	ARM  based board.
	Do you have any link please ?

Well, a web search for "ARM Thumb Java" will get you there quick enough.
Try this article:
    Mobile Devices: RISC-Java blend powers cores
    by Edward Nevill ... & Andrew Rose ...
    EE Times January 6, 2002
    [hmm, that link points to a 2001-07-23 version of the same text.]

    ... we came up with the final design--Jazelle, a way of integrating
    Java execution right into the ARM core. ... To create Jazelle
    technology, we added a third instruction set--Java byte code--to the
    processor, with instruction-set support for entering and exiting
    Java applications.   ... Once in Java state, the processor is in
    every way a Java processor, ...

Or, of course, you could just visit www.arm.com.  Their "choosing cores"
video mentions Jazelle in the "application cores" section.  Type "Jazelle"
into the search box and one of the results you get is a June 2004 press
release:
	Sony Ericsson Licences (sic.) ARM JTEK Software
	for Jazelle Java Acceleration Technology
so Ericsson are using this processor in Java phones.

Of course this direct low-power execution of Java byte code gives Java
an advantage in the mobile phone market that Erlang does not enjoy.