erlmerge - The new way to install Erlang apps.

Reto Kramer kramer@REDACTED
Thu Jul 21 08:06:46 CEST 2005

Tobbe,

Erlmerge is great!

Quick question though - let's say I do install an app like the esmb
package itself that declares it's package dependencies to be the
specific version numbers you have in your example.
    {dependencies,[..., ..., {fd_server,"2.3.0"}, ...]}

Some time later I upgrade fd_server to 2.4.0 (some app, other than
esmb, may require 2.4 and pulls it in). The good citizen developer of
fd_server of course made the 2.4 version backwards compatible with 2.3
(promise ;-).

Will I need to create a new esmb.app file (which includes the fd_server
2.4 reference) and force all users to "upgrade" esmb, or is the
dependency declaration interpreted by the esmb system as
	... at least {fd_server, "2.3.0"} ...
but if any higher number is already installed the dependency is
satisfied?
Or is the dependency declaration a string literal match with what's
currently in the package database?

The fd_server 2.3.0 version is still in the erl/lib directory. Will it
remain in the package database also?

What I'm looking for is really a way to say: "at least version 2.3 of
fd_server". Is that the interpretation that is given to the
declaration?

Thanks,
- Reto