Three wishes

Samuel Rivas samuel@REDACTED
Tue Jul 19 16:25:25 CEST 2005

Richard A. O'Keefe wrote:

> 	Is there any case in which it is a "must have"?
>
> Why yes, in the common case of things like
>
> 	if X > Y -> Sign = 1,  Abs = X - Y
>          ; X < Y -> Sign = -1, Abs = Y - X
>          ; X ==Y -> Sign = 0,  Abs = 0
>         end,
>         ... use Sign and Abs ...
>
> where the *point* of the conditional is to bind several variables
> rather than to compute a value.

  Well, it is not really a "must" but a "could". Personally, I feel
matching the if result is more erlangish (arguing whether it is better
or worse is more a matter of taste);

test(X, Y) ->
    {Sign, Abs} = if X > Y ->  {1, X - Y};
		     X < Y ->  {-1, Y - X};
		     X == Y -> {0, 0}
		  end,
    ... More sentences ...

I see this more as a potential "best practice" than a reason
for the compiler to print a warning. Having the warnings when an
exported variable is part of another assignment outside the if/match
block seems enough for me.

Best regards.
--
	Samuel