Meyer, OO and concurrency

Ulf Wiger ulf@REDACTED
Thu Jul 14 19:23:47 CEST 2005

Den 2005-07-14 17:54:15 skrev Joe Armstrong (AL/EAB)
<joe.armstrong@REDACTED>:

> todd wrote
>
>> You've got to be kidding. I said just the opposite several times.
>>
>> The contention that you can't do concurrency on an OO langauge like
>> C++ is just plain wrong.
>
> Oh - and there I was thinking that C++ didn't do concurrency at all -

Well, in defense of Todd, he wrote that you can do concurrency in C++,
not that C++ does concurrency.

The projects I've seen that have tackled reasonably interesting
concurrency problems in C++ have ended up writing their own
scheduler, their own message-passing libraries, and their
own error handling mechanisms. That's a lot of work, and quite
often leads to "unexpected" delays in the project, but there's
no question that you can do it.

I've also had the nagging suspicion more than once that any
objections that rolling your own concurrency support was
going to be more difficult than they thought didn't work
as a deterrant -- rather the opposite: a few die-hard C++
programmers sought the challenge, and really wanted to try
writing their own concurrency middleware.

/Uffe