Meyer, OO and concurrency

Ulf Wiger ulf@REDACTED
Wed Jul 13 15:22:24 CEST 2005

Den 2005-07-13 10:39:46 skrev Joe Armstrong (AL/EAB)
<joe.armstrong@REDACTED>:

> Now the pipe mechanism was apparently (and I don't know if this was
> true) first suggest by C.A.R.Hoare - The CSP work is probably the best
> ever way describing systems.
> (( the problem with CSP is that synchronous protocols cause dependencies
> between components - so ther are no longer isolated)

 From Hoare's book "Communicating Sequential Processes", pp 241-2
(http://www.usingcsp.com/):

"The idea was first propounded by Conway who illustrated it by examples
similar
to 4.4 X2 and X3, except that all components of a pipe were expected to
terminate successfully instead of running forever. He proposed that the
pipe
structure should be used for writing a multiple-pass compiler for a
programming
language."

Hoare refers to M.E. Conway's "Design of a Separable Transition-Diagram
Compiler,"
Comm. ACM 6 (7), 8?15 (1963).

/Uffe