Mnesia not suitable for time series storage?

Joel Reymont joelr1@REDACTED
Wed Jul 13 13:10:37 CEST 2005

Folks,

I'm trying to create a tick database on top of Mnesia. Ticks are
price quotes (trades in a stock) sent by the exchange a few times a
second for active securities.

My two requirements for tick storage are very high-speed writes and
high-speed sequential retrieval.

I basically issue one type of query and that is to give me all the
ticks in a particular security that happened between this and that time.

An issue that presents a problem is that exchanges might send many
quotes per second but they do not give time in milliseconds, so I
need to keep track of the order in which the quotes came in.

My unoptimized tick record looks like this:

-record(tick, {
       symbol,
       datetime,
       timestamp,
       price,
       size
      }).

Symbol is a string (list) of 4 characters, datetime is a bignum
formed from a date and time 20040901,09:39:38 by stripping the comma
and the colons. Timestamp is now(), price and size are float and
integer respectively.

The timestamp field is what keeps track of the order in which price
quotes come in. I do not know yet how to tell Mnesia to return the
records sorted by timestamp, at least not how to do it efficiently.

Table is created like this:

mnesia:create_table(tick,
                  [
                   {disc_copies, Nodes},
                   {index, [datetime]},
                   {type, bag},
                   {attributes, record_info(fields, tick)}])

The table is a bag because ticks are unique only on the combination
of symbol, datetime AND timestamp. I tried making the table a set but
only got one record in it.

Now, here's the kicker... I parse through a file of historical quotes
and insert ticks into Mnesia one by one and time the insert. Inserts
start at around 1ms and quickly grow to 5, 7, 8, etc. I'm at 24ms per
insert right now and I killed my previous attempts to load about
120,000 after an hour or two.

I would like to be able to store at least 500 ticks per second in
Mnesia and have good lookup speed as well. Is this possible?

     Thanks, Joel

--
http://wagerlabs.com/uptick