Meyer, OO and concurrency

Matthias Lang matthias@REDACTED
Wed Jul 13 09:42:00 CEST 2005

Joe Armstrong (AL/EAB) writes:

 > Why has it taken so long? - answer: because people think that
 > concurrent programming is difficult - and because in the
 > languages to which they have been exposed
 > concurrent programming is extremely difficult.

I would add to that: because there is a widespread tendency to think
of concurrency as a burden you put up with in order to get better
performance. The idea that language-level concurrency might help you
structure a system to make it less complex than it would otherwise be
is surprising to most people in the industry---for reasons you've
discussed earlier on in this thread.

Matthias