TCP stack throughput

Jani Launonen jabba@REDACTED
Tue Jul 5 15:32:36 CEST 2005

> I made the server close the connection right after sending but it did not
> make much of a difference. On Mac OSX 200 out of 500 connection requests
> are refused.

It appears that Linux kernels are by default limited to 128 backlog entries
(http://bcr2.uwaterloo.ca/~brecht/papers/getpaper.php?file=usenix-2004.pdf,
ch 3, 2. paragraph)

Perhaps configuring kernel differently one could increase the performance
dramatically as going from backlog length from 5 to 100 demonstrated. I
don't know if this applies to other operating systems as well or how one
could make the change (by writing /proc/sys/... or by configuring and
recompiling kernel).

>[rest cut]

-+-+-+-
Jani Launonen