Getting locks and sharing: was RE: Getting concurrency

Reto Kramer kramer@REDACTED
Tue Jul 5 05:01:16 CEST 2005

On Jun 18, 2005, at 4:13 PM, Ulf Wiger wrote:

> Den 2005-06-17 09:38:37 skrev Joe Armstrong (AL/EAB)
> <joe.armstrong@REDACTED>:
>
>>> The most complex way is to make the mulator multi-CPU aware,
>>> with all the hassle involved. Just the distributed garbage
>>> collection could probably support a couple of Ph.D. theses.
>>> On the plus side, load balancing is automatic.
>>>

>> We shouldn't do this :-)
>
> I disagree.

dito.

I find it very unnatural to have to conceive of multiple nodes per
machine "just" because there's no VM technology in Erlang that takes
advantage of multi-CPU machines _transparently_.

Where can I learn about what's been done in the past and get a sense of
the Erlang specific challenges and the complexity of such a multi CPU
aware VM?  Did the HiPE group attempt this in the past?

Thanks,
- Reto