Eddie and Distributed Erlang

Mickael Remond mickael.remond@REDACTED
Tue Jan 18 10:28:56 CET 2005

Casper wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I was studying Eddie implementation lately and found it uses it's own
> synchronization mechanism using global registration to manage the
> distribution of it's applications. For example its master_server has a
> synchronization part, which monitors other master_server and if the active
> one (global) goes down, another one take its place.
>
> Why doesn't Eddie use Erlang Kernel module's distributed application
> mechanism?

I think this is because Eddie has been thought to run over machine that
can be distributed and that are not specifically on the same internal
network. With Eddie it is possible to load balance between site
geographically very distant.
The standard Erlang protocole is not encrypted (althought it is possible
now to encrypt it). So I think they use their own distribution mechanism
so that Eddie can run safely over Internet.

> Also when an a process spawned by a supervisor, what happens if the
> supervisor goes down? Does that child process also terminate?

Yes. Links are bidirectionals.

I hope this helps,

--
Mickaël Rémond