Eddie and Distributed Erlang

Casper casper2000a@REDACTED
Tue Jan 18 05:04:44 CET 2005

Hi All,

I was studying Eddie implementation lately and found it uses it's own
synchronization mechanism using global registration to manage the
distribution of it's applications. For example its master_server has a
synchronization part, which monitors other master_server and if the active
one (global) goes down, another one take its place.

Why doesn't Eddie use Erlang Kernel module's distributed application
mechanism?

In a distributed application, is there any use of having a supervisor, which
starts the application module? I guess the kernel dist_ac handles that part,
correct?

Also in Eddie implementation, the system starts OAM module on startup. Then
the OAM module starts the other modules, using application start. When
talking about Best Practice, is this the better method or let the kernel
dist_ac start distributed applications and start the individual application
where necessary at using different startup scripts?

Also when an a process spawned by a supervisor, what happens if the
supervisor goes down? Does that child process also terminate?

Thanks in advance!
Eranga