Getting Started: tut.erl : exiting with an error?!?

Charles Hixson charleshixsn@REDACTED
Fri Jan 14 01:48:13 CET 2005

Please help.  Something's quite wrong.  Here's the program:
-module(tut).
-export([double/1]).

double(X) ->
    2 * X.

And here's the result of running it:
:~/projects/erlang$ erl
Erlang (BEAM) emulator version 5.3.6.3 [source] [hipe] [threads:0]

Eshell V5.3.6.3  (abort with ^G)
1> c(tut).
** exited: {undef,[{compile,file,[tut,[report_errors,report_warnings]]},
                   {c,c,2},
                   {erl_eval,do_apply,5},
                   {shell,eval_loop,2}]} **
2>

I'm so much of a beginner that I can't guess what is happening...but I
think it's my system rather than the program.  I have erlang installed
from the Debian archives... so that should be a pretty good version.
Still, I can't think of how to fix things.

P.S.:  Missing from the getting started tutorial is how to properly quit
the shell.  (I eventually found that the answer was halt(). , but it
wasn't something I was able to guess.)