Memory consumption and memory management: How does it work ?

Mickael Remond mickael.remond@REDACTED
Thu Jan 13 18:21:57 CET 2005

Hello,

I am investigating memory problems with ejabberd, that are possibly
memory leaks.

I wanted to gather your advice regarding such problem, as memory issue
is not a trivial thing to debug:

- Do you have advice to locate where the memory problem comes from ? I
suspect that the problem comes from C driver, but would like to isolate
the problem.

- On another side, calling garbage_collect reduce notably the memory
footprint. The application memory occupation is still growing constantly
but, garbage_collect free nearly a quarter of the memory (100 Mo). Is
this an indicator that the memory allocation strategy should be changed
? Does this lead you to some interesting advices ?

- My last questions is about memory analysis: Is it possible to trigger
report generation like those of crash dump for precise process analysis ?

Thank you in advance for your help regarding Erlang VM underlying memory
management. I need your feedback to understand how it work internally.

--
Mickaël Rémond
  http://www.erlang-projects.org/