Upcoming article in Dr. Dobbs'

Vance Shipley vances@REDACTED
Tue Jan 11 05:53:08 CET 2005

On Mon, Jan 10, 2005 at 10:47:42AM +0100, Joe Armstrong (AL/EAB) wrote:
}
}    When Intel makes  4 (6 8 10 ...) processors on a chip will we
}  get speed ups of 4 (6 8 10...)?

Sun's Niagra processor will ship in 2006 with 8 64-bit UltraSPARC cores.
Each core handles 4 threads at a time with simultaneous multithreading
(SMT).  So you have 32 "simultaneous" threads.

I imagine that it won't be too long before we have hundreds of threads
running in a chip.  I wonder how Erlang, as a concurrency oriented
language, can take advantage of this future.

	-Vance