Thought of the day: was RE: Gen_server and Gen_fsm questions

Wilkin, Kurt Kurt.Wilkin@REDACTED
Wed Jan 5 03:37:16 CET 2005

on Wednesday, 5 January 2005 3:52 a.m. Marc van Woerkom wrote:
> The idea to stick to HTTP calls seems to appear on the
> O'Reilly emerging tech conference:
>
>    "Just" Use HTTP
>    Sam Ruby, Senior Technical Staff Member, Emerging
> Technologies Group, IBM
>    http://conferences.oreillynet.com/cs/et2005/view/e_sess/5968
>
> Regards,
> Marc

It's not mentioned in that description, but that appears to be
based on or at least stunningly similar to the REST architectural
style, whose _style_ would fit very comfortably with some of the
common Erlang approaches to RPC, and is interesting in its own right.
Interestingly, REST also disagrees with the whole SOAP approach.

>From http://rest.blueoxen.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl :

"REST suggests that what the Web got right is having a small,
globally defined set of remote methods (HttpMethods: GET, POST,
PUT, DELETE, etc) applied to any thing (specifically, any resource),
because such a system allows a maximum number of otherwise
uncoordinated actors to interoperate. No matter what web server you
have, and no matter what web client I have, I know if I see a URI of
yours like http://rest.blueoxen.net/, that I can retrieve the
associated document using HTTP GET, with no advance co-ordination
needed other than agreement on the relevant specs (which are already
pervasively deployed)."

Cheers, Kurt.

--
This electronic message together with any attachments is confidential and
intended for the named recipient's use only.  If you are not the intended
recipient (i) do not copy, disclose or use the contents in any way, (ii)
please let us know by return email immediately then destroy the message, and
any hard copies of the message, and any attachments.  The sender of this
message is not responsible for any changes made to this message and/or any
attachments and/or connection linkages to the Internet referred to in this
message after it has been sent.  Unless otherwise stated, any pricing
information given in this message and/or attachments is indicative only, is
subject to change and does not constitute an offer to buy or sell securities
or derivatives at any price quoted.  Any reference to the terms of executed
transactions should be treated as preliminary only and subject to separate
formal written notification.  Where reference is made to research material
and/or research recommendations, the basis of the provision of such research
material and/or recommendations is set out in the relevant disclaimer.