unknown_catch_try_state under R10B-2

Raimo Niskanen raimo@REDACTED
Sun Jan 2 20:01:12 CET 2005

It seems to be a bug in the beam_validator module (compiler
internal). It is a new post-processing pass that checks the
generated code to see if the compiler messed up some
optimization and produced unsafe code. It has been tested
on most code we had available, but obviously not all code
in the world.

We will have a look at this problem after the christmas
vacations. Thank you for reducing the bug for us. To find
exactly what went wrong you will have to compile with the
-S switch to get a .beam assembly listing, then read and
understand it.

If you have to get forward sooner you can probably work around
the bug with a slight rewrite of the code. The validator seems
to have problems with a catch statement. It might be the
parenthesis around "catch begin ... end", or the "begin ... end"
in a catch. That is the only thing that looks a bit odd. OK,
the "case ok of _ -> ... end" also looks a bit odd so it might
be the catch in such a statement...

Nevertheless we will locate this bug sooner or later.