Parallel Programming

Serge Aleynikov serge@REDACTED
Sat Aug 13 20:50:06 CEST 2005

We've done exactily this approach in one of the projects where a large
computational task was multiplexed between several nodes running C ports
doing mathematical optimization.  Erlang was used only for splitting
work load, distribution and gathering results.

I am sure other libraries (like MPI) could have been used, but it took
very little effort to do parallelization in Erlang/OTP, and C-based code
was only focused on solving the actual optimization problem.  This
approach also helped to use different resources concurrently for solving
mathematical, distributed and integrational problems, with very little
overlap of responsibilities, which allowed to implement the solution
impressively quickly.

Regards,

Serge