Possible bug & improvement suggestion concerning Erlang shell

Bjorn Gustavsson bjorn@REDACTED
Thu Apr 21 12:35:38 CEST 2005

Jani Launonen <jabba@REDACTED> writes:
[...]
> Everything as expected. But remove the do_something/0 from exports,
> compile from the shell and it is still seen in the print out generated
> by m(dummy). Is this a feature or is this a bug? (One cannot call the
> do_something/0 outside the module any more, so everythings fine with
> that respect. It's just puzzling to show students the
> code-compile-test-change-compile as the old function just shows there
> in exports with no reason.)

This bug was corrected in OTP R10B-4. Do you use R10B-4?

> Improvement suggestion:
> Would it be worth adding a menu for graphical directory choosing
> -component in werl.exe? I noted that asking students to change the
> current working directory to some other drive and path was little bit
> puzzling because of the unix-style / -path separator, ls() and pwd()
> -commands. I wasn't able to make command line scripts for them as I've
> been in unix enviroment for years and couldn't remember how things
> were done in windows command line. Also the directory structure was
> different for the students so I didn't know before hand where their
> network directories were. So it would have been easier to ask they to
> click themselves to their own directories than remind them to use
> "/"-path separator and try to find their way to the right directory
> forgotting the use of "" around the path...

Yes, it could be a worthwile addition, but don't hold your breath.

When working with Erlang on Windows, I usually make a shortcut to werl.exe.
In the shortcut properties, I change the initial working directory.

/Bjorn