Image manipulation in erlang

Roger Larsson roger.larsson@REDACTED
Wed Apr 20 01:25:36 CEST 2005

On Tuesday 19 April 2005 16.08, Olivier Sambourg wrote:
> Hi everyone
>
> I'm looking for an erlang library which will give me access to the
> color of a pixel (X/Y given) in a PNG image. The idea is to have a
> process (gen_server behaviour) keeping the image in memory and
> answering pixel information requests by other processes.
> I found a wrapper for the GD library in the erlang driver toolkit
> projet but I'd like to know if there are better/faster tools for my
> purpose (I have no idea about the performance of the GD wrapper for
> instance, benchmarks anyone ?)

This might be a nice way if all you want to do is check a single pixel
value now and then.

Images quickly grows big needing lots of messages.

If you on the other hand want to do something with more image data
create "map" and "reduce" and send the wanted process function
to the image and get the result sent back.

Note: image processing has REAL corner cases :-)

/RogerL