run_erl/to_erl on FreeBSD

Vance Shipley vances@REDACTED
Sat Apr 2 06:03:12 CEST 2005

On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 09:24:39AM +0200, Bjorn Gustavsson wrote:
}
}  Which version of FreeBSD do you use? Does run_erl run using
}  R10B-2 or R10B-3?

Bjorn,

I am using FreeBSD 4.10-STABLE on this particular machine.

I found this bug report which goes into the gory details:

Basically the problem lies in the semantics of using select()
on a named pipe opened for reading for which there has never
been a writer.  Solaris will return exactly one EOF.  On this
FreeBSD 4.10 system select() just keeps on returning with the
pipe readable and read returning 0 (EOF).

OS X, being derived from FreeBSD, is somehow effected as well.

I think I'll just live without to_erl until I can schedule an
upgrade to FreeBSD 5.3 which presumable works.

	-Vance