Error: cannot handle extended pids and ports

Sean Hinde sean.hinde@REDACTED
Sat Apr 2 00:22:33 CEST 2005

On 1 Apr 2005, at 21:52, Joel Reymont wrote:

>> Vance Shipley wrote:
>
>> Since RUDP has been superceded by SCTP that leads us back to the
>> gen_sctp
>> discussion.  :)
>
> Funny, I was just reading up on SCTP.
>
>> SCTP isn't really the answer for you as although the server side is
>> easy
>> to provision getting SCTP support into clients is unlikely for many
>> years.
>
> Why is that? Can't I just build a SCTP client?

It is a very heavy duty replacement for TCP running over raw IP. There
is an implementation in the Linux 2.6 kernels if you fancy playing with
it.

Not that I wish to discourage you if you fancy having a go. I did once
start to write a version of it in Erlang running over UDP (it was an
option in the spec, I don't know if it still is), but as with many such
things it was much bigger than available time and skills permitted :-)

Sean