Deployment tools?

Dustin Sallings dustin@REDACTED
Sun Oct 24 23:26:16 CEST 2004

	I've got an application deployed in a two-node cluster that does
environmental monitoring in my house.  I currently have two problems
that I believe have simple solutions, but I'm not quite getting what
needs to happen for this:

	1) Dynamic code redeployment.

		I'd like to be able to make a change and get it applied on my nodes.
I've played with spawn + the code module, but I'd like to actually get
some confirmation somewhere (log, or better, the console from which I
issue deployment).  I also don't quite understand purging.  Most
ideally, this would be something I could use in my build environment to
update the code across the network, but I'd like to make sure that if
the application gets completely restarted on a given node, it's running
the latest code.

	2) Dynamic reconfiguration.

		This is similar to the above, and I've actually done it, but it was
more work than I'd think I'd need to make.  A lot of my monitoring
parameters are in my .app config (device aliases, operating range,
maximum amount of time I can go without hearing from a device,
notification lists, etc...).

	Currently, I go to the nodes and just restart the apps.  Doing so is
just a little inconvenient, but also causes me to lose a little state.
If a sensor is in an alarming state, I want to avoid sending an alarm
for a certain period of time, which is state that's kept on the stack.

--
SPY                      My girlfriend asked me which one I like better.
pub  1024/3CAE01D5 1994/11/03 Dustin Sallings <dustin@REDACTED>