ANNOUNCE - graphics package

Bengt Kleberg Bengt.Kleberg@REDACTED
Tue Jan 20 13:19:45 CET 2004

erlang@REDACTED wrote:
...deleted

> Rob Pike also wrote acme, which in my eyes qualifies as a
> "very-high-level user interface toolkit" (Luke Gorrie).  Its
...deleted
> There is also a clone for Unix called wily
> (http://www.cs.yorku.ca/~oz/wily/), but its programmatic model is
> completely different and uses sockets.

the user interface part of wily is very close to acme. most differences
i can remember are a few niceties in wily, like the possibility to
execute a command directly by doing <RET> after having typed it.

due to the extream simplicity of the underlying concepts most of the
daily use of acme/wily is automatic, without thinking.
so there is a really confusing difference: b1b2 on text executes this
text as a command in both acme and wily. the command gets as its
arguments the text that was selected. but the current directory is the
directory of the ''command'' in acme, whereas wily uses the directory of
the arguments as current directory.

bengt