Anybody done this

Joe Armstrong joe@REDACTED
Fri Apr 2 11:36:01 CEST 2004

On Thu, 1 Apr 2004, Dave Love wrote:

> Joe Armstrong <joe@REDACTED> writes:
>
> > 2) Stopping and starting Erlang.
> >
> >   I'd  like to  say  erlang:suspend(File) which  would suspend  Erlang
> > dumping the state into a  file and later say erlang:resume(File) which
> > would re-start  the suspended Erlang  from *exactly* the state  it was
> > in.
>
> Emacs' unexec does basically that, but (a) unexec is a maintenance
> nightmare, whatever rms says -- use mmapped data instead -- and (b)
> you're stuffed if you want state like network connexions to persist.
> (Unexec has actually been used in a few things other than Emacs.)

  To  answer my  own question  - since  what I  really want  to  do is
suspend Elang and  resume it on another machine I could  do this is a
number of ways.

  1) Hack Erlang to do this (difficult)
  2) Hack the environment in which Erlang runs.

     Really I'd like a virtual OS which could be suspended and resumed -
Oh and I'd like to "virtualise" all resources (hence my question on ext2).

    Somethink like VMWare cannot be arbitrarly suspended - so what else
could we try?

        http://user-mode-linux.sourceforge.net/
	http://a386.nocrew.org/
or
	http://plex86.sourceforge.net/

    Has anybody thought about porting Erlang to one of these VM's?

    /Joe