One Million Processes

Vance Shipley vances@REDACTED
Tue Sep 30 21:03:12 CEST 2003

I would like to put together an application for the
sole purpose of achieving one million processes doing
something productive.  With current limits on the number
of processes which a node can support this will require
several nodes.

I am building a platform to host a number of Sun CP1500
Sparc boards in a single chassis.  I'll have at least a
half a dozen available.  These will all be independent,
diskless clients.  I would like to also keep the distributed
system it comprises up and running continuosly.  Forever.

I'm soliciting suggestions on an application to create.
The goal is to demonstrate massive concurrency.  One thing
I played around with this year was implementing the digraph
module with every vertice as a process.  It becomes a living
database.  Another obvious choice is the game of life.  I'd
prefer something a little more impressive though.

If anyone has any other interesting things they could do with
an Erlang/OTP cluster I can make it available.

	-Vance