essential Erlang

Vlad Dumitrescu vlad_dumitrescu@REDACTED
Wed Sep 24 13:44:22 CEST 2003

From: "Peter-Henry Mander"
> Now that I'm a bit better informed, I don't think the underlying
> microkernel should inhibit anyone from having a stab at it.

No, of course not. The problem seems to be that (as Miguel pointed out) not much
seems to happen on this front as of late. It seems to me that it's difficult to
know where things are heading. My favourite would have been an exokernel, but
the only known to me implementation (at MIT
http://www.pdos.lcs.mit.edu/exo.html) seems not to have been updated for many
years...

> The kernel
> primitives ought to be sufficiently equivalent to enable replacing one
> with the other without much impact.

Ermm, I am not sure about that. From what I've been browsing, there are many
variants that appear to be quite different.

Anyway, I'd still begin with breaking ERTS down, so that it will be easier to
know what precise features one wants from the kernel.

/Vlad