new syntax - a provocation

erlang@REDACTED erlang@REDACTED
Tue Sep 23 07:03:07 CEST 2003

Along the lines of provocation, this suggests another thought:

The one single source, as far as I can tell, of nonlinear algorithms in
Erlang, is an inability to directly address list elements (as per array
subscripts, or similar).

I like lists.  In fact, I love lists.  But it seems to me that the current
approach was rather one of using a pure linked list (or double linked list)
for internal representation.  (This is an educated guesstimate, and I invite
correction.)

I'd also be inclined to vote for cleaner syntax; many things such as
comprehensions are nice, I suppose, but offer no fundamental improvement
in expressivity (since one could write the actual function out in any
event).

This is every bit as provocative as Vlad's email, if not more so ;)