Enhanced type guard syntax]

Richard A. O'Keefe ok@REDACTED
Mon Sep 22 07:18:08 CEST 2003

Joe Armstrong <joe@REDACTED> wrote:
	It  depends upon  the  set of  patterns.
	If we  have a  polymorphic function like this:

	foo(A/integer, B/...) ->
	foo(A/integer, B/...)
	foo(true, ...) ->
	foo(bar, ...) ->

	Then  any  half  decent  pattern matching  compiler  could  generate
	pattern matching code like this....

		switchOnTag Arg0 {
	        	case integer: ...
		        case atom:   ...
		}

But any half-way decent pattern-matching compiler *should* be generating
pattern-matching code like that anyway for

	foo(A, B) when integer(A), ... ->
	foo(A, B) when integer(A), ... ->
	foo(true, ...) when ... ->
	foo(bar,  ...) when ... ->

Someone under Udi Shapiro's supervision wrote a compiler for FCP that did
that years back.  I *think* the name was Shmuel Kliger, but I am probably
wrong, and I *think* the year I read it was 1990, but ditto.  And of course
I may be misremembering it.

Basic ideas:
(1) Compile pattern matches and guards together
(2) Do guard tests when the data are known to be available
    (for Prolog, a variable may be tested after the _last_ mention of
     it in a pattern; for Erlang it may be tested after the _first_
     mention).  So integer(A) may be scheduled at any point after the
    first mention of A in the head, A > B may be done at any point
    after A and B both become available, and so on.
(3) Introduce the generalisations of a test:
    integer(A) => atomic(A) & number(A) & integer(A)
    A = 27 => integer(A).... & A = 27
    A = true => atomic(A) & atom(A) & A = true
    hd(X) > 2 => is_pair(X) & [H|_] = X & atomic(H) & number(H) & H > 2
(4) If a test is implied by tests you have already done, emit no code
    for it.
(5) When building the tree, at each node pick the most useful test.
    I've forgotten the exact rule, but it's something about filtering
    out the largest number of clauses, and something about expense.

	  My general feeling is that "the more you tell the compiler about the
	program the better"

	  As a programmer you shouldn't  think about how to write patterns, or
	guards for efficiency - let the pattern matching compiler do that.

Right.  If Erlang _were_ to be extended with IBM-PROLOG-like type tests
in patterns (*YUCK*) then it should make absolutely no difference to the
compiler whether you do it that way or not.