Enhanced type guard syntax]

Joe Armstrong joe@REDACTED
Thu Sep 18 15:16:48 CEST 2003

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003, Eric Newhuis wrote:

> This is a wonderful suggestion.  I would welcome it.  Furthermore I
> would also welcome compile-time checking in cases where it is
> practical.  Such a small thing could be a stepping stone to some
> ultimate type system.
>
> > foo(A/integer, B/integer) ->
> >      A * B.
>
> What is the runtime expense of performing such checks?

  It  depends upon  the  set of  patterns.  If we  have a  polymorphic
function like this:

foo(A/integer, B/...) ->
foo(A/integer, B/...)
foo(true, ...) ->
foo(bar, ...) ->

  Then  any  half  decent  pattern matching  compiler  could  generate
pattern matching code like this....

	switchOnTag Arg0 {
        	case integer: ...
	        case atom:   ...
	}

  But with no type information  the pattern matching code might be far
worse.

  My general feeling is that "the more you tell the compiler about the
program the better"

  As a programmer you shouldn't  think about how to write patterns, or
guards for efficiency - let the pattern matching compiler do that.

  If you  *do* make assumptions  about this your assumptions  may well
turn  out  wrong   in  the  next  version  of   the  system,  and  you
optimisations might turn into pessimisations

  /Joe