Interview with Stroustrup

Bengt Kleberg Bengt.Kleberg@REDACTED
Thu Sep 18 13:17:54 CEST 2003

Richard Carlsson wrote:

...deleted
> sounds like he is implementing the Java RMI thing in C++. I don't think
> this kind of guy would even appreciate a laguage like Erlang - he'd
> probably feel that it's like cheating somehow.

about 10 years ago i read a book by stroustrup. it was about the design
of c++. it seemed full of cheats.
one page would claim that the design descision was due to clearity of
source expression beeing much more important than compiler speed. a few
pages later claimed that backwards compatibility (to c) was more
important than clearity of source. and a little later again it was
compiler speed that was more important than backwards compatibility.
that book made me unhappy. but that could be me.

bengt