Erlang is getting too big

Francesco Cesarini francesco@REDACTED
Tue Oct 14 08:24:53 CEST 2003

>>Things such as List (In)Comprehensions are powerful if you know what
>>you are doing.
>>

>Out of curiosity, what is it you don't like about list comprehensions?
>Just one more thing to learn, or do you think they're particularly
>confusing in practice even if you've read how they work?

I *love* list comprehensions. Back in 95, I spent sleepless nights
trying to solve the 8 queens problem. If I have a bright class, I will
be the first so show them pivot sort. The same applies to funs and
higher order functions. However, less than 5% of programmers end up
using LCs, if not less. People who are struggling to come to term with
the rest of the language don't, as it is yet another thing to take in.
Something they can solve with recursion.

Interesting enough, two of the last three major projects (50+ people) I
worked in, list comprehensions were banned to avoid a minority of the
people using a majority of the language (There were also efficiency
problems at the time which have now been solved).

If you really have to add something new to the language, add Dynamic
Records Joe has privately talked to people about. They are brilliant and
a perfect semantical fit to Erlang.

Francesco
--
http://www.erlang-consulting.com