design pattern using erlang

Martin J. Logan mlogan@REDACTED
Mon Nov 3 18:04:13 CET 2003

First get a really good sense of what the pattern is trying to
accomplish. You now go ahead and write modules that are either libraries
or spawn processes. I struggle with mapping out a clear path for you.
You really need to understand and write a few programs in erlang. It is
a different paradigm. You will not have objects and inheritance. What
you will have are modules and processes. The thing that you are going to
need to concentrate on is typically; what are the concurrent activities
in your system. Those should be made into processes. Each process should
have a well defined interface. This interface should hide the messaging
format, or the "alphabet" of your process. This interface and process
should be encapsulated by a single module. In the end you will have a
system of processes communicating through interfaces. Kind of like a
system of objects communicating through interfaces. You will loose
inheritance and strong typing and gain true and beautiful concurrency:)
Find a pattern that emphasizes concurrency and then decompose it into
modules and processes. I must now ask why you choose the reactor. The
reactor is a pattern that emphasizes an event based and single threaded
implementation. I suggest that you not follow the reactor to the letter,
if your assignment mandates that you do then choose another pattern.

I also recommend that you use OTP. If you learn nothing else of OTP
learn the following. Really LEARN THE FOLLOWING: Learn and use the
supervisor and learn and use the gen_server. Use sasl for its logging
and reporting.

Martin