New Jungerl addition: Spread driver

Scott Lystig Fritchie fritchie@REDACTED
Tue May 20 09:22:31 CEST 2003

I've just added a driver for the Spread reliable multicast library to
the Jungerl collection.  As always, see
http://jungerl.sourceforge.net/http://sourceforge.net/projects/jungerl
and http://jungerl.sourceforge.net/ for info on Jungerl.

Spread is the communications library behind such nifty projects as
PostgreSQL-R (PostgreSQL + synchronous replication of multiple
servers) and Wackamole (an IP address migration tool).  Quoting from
the docs at http://www.spread.org/docs/docspread.html

    "Spread is a toolkit that provides a high performance messaging service
    that is resilient to faults across external or internal networks. Spread
    functions as a unified message bus for distributed applications, and
    provides highly tuned application-level multicast and group communication
    support. Spread services range from reliable message passing to fully
    ordered messages with delivery guarantees, even in case of computer
    failures and network partitions."

The spread_drv driver in the Jungerl is significantly different than
the spread driver found my Erlang Driver Toolkit version 1.0
distribution.  If you're tempted to try using this driver, the code I
just checked in to the Jungerl is much more robust, many more
features, *and* less buggy.

I hope the docs are clear enough to build & test it out.  As always,
send questions and flames to me.

-Scott