ANNOUNCE: erlguten

Pierpaolo BERNARDI bernardp@REDACTED
Wed Mar 12 23:06:57 CET 2003

From: "Mikael Karlsson" <mikael.karlsson@REDACTED>

> Lout -  http://snark.ptc.spbu.ru/~uwe/lout/
> has some PDF processing now, limited though.
> I think you also have pretty good control were you can place
> things in Lout, but I am not sure if it fulfils Joes requirements.

Probably it doesn't, but I wanted to draw attention to Lout's
successor, which is based on a functional language, which
is being designed right now.

Jeff Kingston recently requested comments on his design
from experts in functional languages (specifically, on
type systems, but anyway).

So, I think there's some common ground between the two
projects.

> There is also an implementation in Haskell of the
> Lout "galleys" which I don't understand 100%  of:
> http://ist.unibw-muenchen.de/kahl/Haskell/VGalleys.html

I didn't knew this.

> Joe calls his xml layout files galley_001.gal, so I
> guess he had a look or two on the Basser Lout.

Oh!  I thought "galley" was a common enough
typographical term that one could use it without
knowing Lout.

Cheers
P.