Remote connect problems.

Walter C. Reel III blitzfeuer@REDACTED
Wed Mar 12 12:15:47 CET 2003

On Tuesday 11 March 2003 07:42 am, Matthias Lang wrote:
> A first step is to try the whole experiment with two nodes on the
> same linux machine. I.e. start two xterms. In one:
>
>    matthias >erl -sname hokus -setcookie nocookie
>    Erlang (BEAM) emulator version 5.1.2 [source]
>   (hokus@REDACTED)1>
>
> and in the other
>
>    matthias >erl -sname pokus -setcookie nocookie
>    Erlang (BEAM) emulator version 5.1.2 [source]
>    (pokus@REDACTED)1> net:ping(hokus@REDACTED).
>    pong
>
> Note the 'pong'. A next step could be to use numeric host-ids, i.e. on
> linux:
>
>    erl -name 'hokus@REDACTED' -setcookie nocookie
>
> and on windows
>
>    erl -name 'pokus@REDACTED' -setcookie nocookie
>    (pokus@REDACTED)1> net:ping('hokus@REDACTED').
>    pong
>
> Note the '-name' instead of '-sname'. Let the list know how it
> goes. And next time you report a problem, please include a cut and
> paste of what you actually did, my ESP isn't what it used to be.
>
> Matthias

With the fully qualified name provided neither of the machines can talk to
each other now.

$ erl -name 'kermit@REDACTED' -setcookie nocookie
Erlang (BEAM) emulator version 5.2.3.3 [source] [hipe] [threads:0]

Eshell V5.2.3.3  (abort with ^G)
(kermit@REDACTED)1> nodes().
[]
(kermit@REDACTED)2> net_adm:ping('piggy@REDACTED').
pang
(kermit@REDACTED)3>

The results are the same on 'piggy'.  The fully qualified name with the IP
address should work regardless right?

Two nodes on the same host will talk to each other with no problems.

$ erl -name 'fozzie@REDACTED' -setcookie nocookie
Erlang (BEAM) emulator version 5.2.3.3 [source] [hipe] [threads:0]

Eshell V5.2.3.3  (abort with ^G)
(fozzie@REDACTED)1> nodes().
[]
(fozzie@REDACTED)2> net_adm:ping('kermit@REDACTED').