The update R9B-1 is released

Daniel Dudley daniel.dudley@REDACTED
Wed Mar 5 21:12:01 CET 2003

"Kent Boortz" wrote:

> "Daniel Dudley" writes:
> > "Kent Boortz" wrote:
> > >
> > > There is no support for building a Windows version from
> > > source.
> >
> > Ok, so we're on our own after we've installed it. But is
> > there a cvs "build" tree available for Windows? Or is it
> > part of
> >   http://www.erlang.org/download/otp_src_R9B-1.tar.gz
> > (the full source distribution)?
>
> It is all there I think but it is targeted our build environment.
> We will "soon" release a native Windows build that use Cygwin.

Good, although I'd have preferred a VC6 build. What do they
say...if you give them a finger they'll take a hand? ;-)
It would be nice, though -- even if I do get the point with
Cygwin, which I use to build a couple of other languages.

> I don't quite understand what you mean by "so we're on our own
> after we've installed it". You can compile the Erlang source as
> well as write and load dynamic drivers (dll). What you can't do
> (easily) is rebuild the Erlang emulator (virtual machine),

I was merely noting that there isn't official support in
OTP and, according to the readme file (the line above),
specifically building the Windows version from source.

Thanks for the explanation, but exactly why is the emulator
not so easily rebuilt? And does this apply to the other
platforms, too?

Daniel