moving processes from node to node

Bengt Kleberg eleberg@REDACTED
Mon Jun 23 08:19:16 CEST 2003

> To: erlang-questions@REDACTED
> From: Roussel Jérôme <roussel@REDACTED>
> Subject: moving processes from node to node

> 	- is it possible to transfer a whole application (with all its modules)
> from one computer (using one erlang node) to another computer (with
> another erlang node)? I don't talk about process migration because I
> only want to copy all the files of an application from the hard drive of
> computer A to put all theses files onto the hard drive of computer B
>
> 	- is it possible next to check if all the needed modules are available
> on the computer B?
>
> 	- if all this is possible, is it possible, in one word, to move one
> application from one node to another (without doing it by hand) ???

''by hand''? does this mean ''sneaker net'' (manually carrying the
files on some media), or would ''scp <files> <computer>'' also be ''by
hand''?

while waiting for the high tech solution (presumably there is already
some otp module that does this) i have the following (bfmi) suggestion:

1 use the code module to find the modules (code:which/1)
2 use the file module to read them (file:read_file/1)
3 (possibly use rpc:call/4 with file:make_dir/1 to create correct
directory on the other node)
4 using the binaries from step 2, write them on the other node
(rpc:call/4 with file:write_file/2)

bengt